Green Beans Thoran (Green Beans Stir Fried With Coconut)...transferred to a new post from an old one...this needed to an updated picture and also needed a separate post of its own
Green Beans Thoran (Green Beans Stir Fried With Coconut)
- Green/French beans, finely chopped, about 1 cup
- Onions, finely chopped, about ¼ cup
- Urad dal,/skinned and split black lentils/white lentils, 1 tsp (optional if using peanuts, if skipping peanut do add for that crunch)
- Mustard seeds, ½ tsp
- Green chillies, finely chopped, 1-2
- Salt, to taste
- Turmeric, a pinch
- Roasted peanuts, coarsely crushed, about 1-2 tbsp (optional)
- Fresh Coconut, grated or shredded, 2-3 tbsp
- Water, a teaspoon or so only if required
- Oil, ½ -1 tbsp (preferably coconut oil or else oil of your choice)
Heat oil in a pan and add urad dal followed by mustard seeds.
When the dal gets light brown and mustard seeds start popping add onions and green chillies.
Stir well. When the onions go soft (don’t let them turn brown) , add the beans, salt and turmeric. Cook covered on low flame till the beans are cooked – you can sprinkle a little water, if required.
Do not cover the beans completely or overcook as the beans will lose colour and texture.
Add in the grated coconut – mix well and cook for another couple of minutes.
Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with crushed roasted peanuts. Serve with rice or roti.
- You are supposed to use shallots, I didn’t have any so used regular onion.
- You are supposed to add curry leaves in the tempering or later, I don’t like the taste of curry leaves with green beans so skipped
- You can coarsely grind the shallots/onions with coconut and green chillies and can either fry this paste first before adding the beans.
- I like to add peanuts but they are never ever used otherwise J