Mexican style Scrambled Eggs…because the fridge needed to be cleaned...because it is one of our favourite breakfasts...because when this shows up on your facebook newsfeed as a reminder from Nigella’s page you just HAVE to…call it Indian style if using rotis (spice it up), call it Sri Lankan style if using Malabar paranthas (add more veggies) or call it Spanish style if using Crisp Fried French Fries or…call it anything, but do make it! Works well for breakfasts as well as lazy (or "just for one") lunches and dinners J
Mexican style Scrambled Eggs
- Soft Tortillas, corn or regular flour, 2-3
- Tomato, finely chopped, 1 medium to large (deseed, if in the mood; instead of fresh tomato I used some leftover cooked down tomatoes that I had in my fridge)
- Spring onion, 1 or Red Onion, ½ small, finely chopped (optional)
- Green chillies, finely chopped, 1-2 or Red Chilli flakes, 1 tsp (deseeded and chopped)
- Eggs, 3-4 large
- Splash of milk or cream (optional)
- Fresh Coriander/Cilantro leaves, roughly chopped, a handful (optional)
- Salt, to taste
Halve the tortillas and then roll them up all together into a sausage shape. Cut the rolled up tortillas into thin strips.
Heat ½ tbsp oil in a non stick frying pan. Add the tortilla strips, toss around and fry for a few minutes in the pan until golden crisp. Remove from the pan and keep aside.
Heat the remaining ½ tbsp oil in the pan. Add the onions, tomatoes and chillies and cook for a couple of minutes till onions start going soft.
Whisk the eggs in a small bowl with milk/cream, if using.
Put the fried tortilla strips back in the pan, stir a couple of times to coat the onion tomato mix. Add in the whisked eggs, salt and coriander, if using.
Toss around and stir till the eggs are cooked to your liking. Remove from heat and serve immediately!
(Recipe adapted from Nigella Lawson from here)