Baked Mathri or Baked Salted Crackers if you please…typically deep fried, I converted Mom’s regular mathri recipe to a baked one as I didn’t want to make the effort of deep frying them and dealing with all that left over oil...not as good as the fried version but pretty yum nonetheless J
Baked Mathri/Baked Salted crackers
- Maida/All purpose flour, 1 cup or Atta/Whole wheat flour, 1 cup or half cup of each
- Suji/Semolina, ¼ cup
- Baking powder, ½ tsp
- Salt, ¾ tsp or to taste
- Cumin seeds, ½ tsp
- Hing/Asafoetida, ¼ tsp (optional)
- Black Pepper, freshly ground, ¾ tsp
- Fresh green chilies, chopped, 2-3
- Fresh red chilies, chopped, 2-3 (or substitute with red chili flakes)
- Melted Ghee or Oil, 3 tbsp if using maida and 4 tbsp if using atta
- Water to knead the dough (I used a little more than ¼ cup)
Take a mixing bowl and combine all the dry ingredients. Add the ghee/oil and mix with your fingertips for about 4-5 minutes.
Start adding water a tablespoon at a time and bring the dough together to fairly stiff dough without kneading too much. Cover the dough with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and keep aside for 10 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Lightly grease a baking tray with oil spray or oil.
Divide the dough into two parts.
Roll out the dough into a little less than ¼ “ thickness flat disc and then cut them into desired shapes using cookie cutter or knife.
Prick them a fork all over and place them on the prepared baking tray.
Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes on one side and then flip and bake for about 5 more minutes.
Transfer to a wire rack and once cool, store in an airtight container.
Serve with tea, pickle or any chutney/dip of your choice.
Other flavoring you can use:
- Ajwain/carom seeds, Kasoori Methi/Dried Fenugreek leaves and Black pepper
- Ajwain/carom seeds and Black pepper
- Kalonji/Nigella seeds and Black pepper
- Italian seasoning and Black pepper
- Red chili flakes and Oregano
- Add some sesame seeds or flax seeds to the dough
- Add some ginger paste to the dough