Pyaj Aar Posto Diye Aloo Bhaja (Potatoes cooked with onion and poppy seeds)…this post has been lying in my draft folder for forever now…and it came to mind only when I made this for lunch today…one of the simplest and tastiest potato dishes that I have ever eaten…and so says this confirmed potato hater!!
Pyaj Aar Posto Diye Aloo Bhaja (Potatoes cooked with onion and poppy seeds)
- Potatoes, cut lengthwise, 2 large
- Green chilies, slit, 2-3 (or use 1 dried red chili)
- Onion, finely sliced, 1 medium size (optional, I like to add)
- Posto/Khus Khus/ White Poppy seeds, 2 tbsp
- Kashmiri Red chili powder, ½ tsp (used for colour, optional, I like to add)
- Turmeric powder, ½ tsp (optional, I skip)
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, 1 -2 tbsp
Peel the potatoes and cut them lengthwise like French fries (or even thinner). Soak them in cold water for about 10-15 minutes. Drain and keep aside. (If using turmeric, sprinkle turmeric and salt on the potatoes and keep them aside for 5-10 minutes, drain well)
Heat the oil in a pan. Add the chilies, followed by the onions. Fry the onions on low heat till they start to caramelize.
Add the potatoes, poppy seeds, salt and mix well. Toss around and fry on high heat for a couple of minutes.
Lower the heat, sprinkle Kashmiri red chili powder (if using) and mix well
Now cover and cook till the potatoes are almost cooked.
Uncover and finish cooking on medium high heat till potatoes go light brown and crisp.
Serve hot with dal and rice/rotis.